SWAFFHAM TRAIL The War Memorial Home

Swaffham’s War memorial is situated at the north end of the market place and takes the form of a small, stumpy cross at the top of a square column mounted on a tall pedestal; attached to the pedestal and column are the pink, marble tablets bearing the inscriptions and names.


There are 90 names listed for WW1 and 25 for WW2. (There are actually 91 names listed – 1 was added later). The first, temporary and wooden, war memorial was erected on 11 November 1919 and the stone permanent one in 1920. The memorial was re-dedicated in September 2002.


Many of the names are of men who were born and lived in Swaffham. One of the names is Ernest Gout from Ash Close, Swaffham. He joined the First Battalion, The Norfolk Regiment in August 1914 and died fighting in France in July 1915, aged 22. He is buried in France.