Each of Swaffham's many pubs has a claim to fame.
The Station Inn was originally called 'The Norfolk Hero', named after the county's famous Admiral Horatio Nelson. It was opened in 1850, three years after the railway came to Swaffham. Being so close to the Station, the Norfolk Hero soon had plenty of thirsty travellers and many people visited the Regal Cinema that was just across the road. The Cinema closed in 1964 just four years before the railway, but the Norfolk Hero remained open and was very popular, particularly on Saturday evenings, when the Lawrences supplied free cheese and onion sandwiches and cockles.