SWAFFHAM TRAIL The Greyhound Home

Each of Swaffham’s many pubs has a claim to fame.


The Greyhound, originally known as the Blue Bell, was mentioned in parish records in 1679 under the name “Ye Bell”. It was renamed the Greyhound in honour of George Walpole, the Earl of Orford creating the first coursing club open to the public in the 1700s.


It took on another name in 2006, albeit fictionally, when it became The Startled Duck for the TV series Kingdom.