In 1821, William Jackman, a labourer of Swaffham, started the Baptist Church.
It was successful and in 1823 a small meeting room was built. In 1854, Swaffham had 12 inns and taverns, 3 breweries and 11 beer houses, for a population of 3000. The church continued to grow and in 1860 the Station Street church was opened with 500 seats.
Still thriving today, this church is an interesting and elegant building.