The earliest record of Strattons is 1797 on Faden’s map. It seems to have begun life as a malting barn. The Venetian windows were originally of stone. Major refurbishment was carried out on the Queen Anne house. There is a reference in 1836 to the house being an academy run by Matilda Cooper.
‘Razor’ Smith, the famous slow bowler from the 1900’s, lived at Strattons and worked as a salesman for Surridges, the cricket bat manufacturers.
In 1938 a local farmer purchased the house for £675. Mrs Stratton changed the name from The Villa as she thought it too grand. She ran the house rather like a guest house and children from Hammond’s Grammar School were boarded there along with officers during and after WW2.
The farmhouse became Strattons in 1990 when Les and Vanessa Scott bought it and turned it into a hotel.