Plowright Place is now a shopping arcade. It was converted in 1982 from the Plowright and Sons foundry. A foundry is a factory that produces metal castings. Metal is melted into liquid in furnaces before being poured into casts, cooled and turned into various shapes.
Plowrights’ foundry, built around 1860, contained 3 furnaces and manufactured ironmongery and agricultural equipment.
It is a Grade 2 listed building with a yellow brick façade under a slate roof at the front and a pantile roof at the rear.
In 1949 a worn brass roman coin called a sesterius and minted under the Emperor Trajan, was recovered from the property.
There still remains 2 cast iron columns in the central carriageway