SWAFFHAM TRAIL Campingland Home

In 1463 the vicar John Botewright gave the Campingland to the parishioners to practise running, archery, military drill and “other honest games”.


It is named after the medieval game of camp or camp ball, a lively and dangerous type of football, where players would kick, fight and wrestle to get the ball – made out of a pig’s bladder and the size of a cricket ball – through the goal.